[Mb-civic] Bush Misled Nation in Last Debates

The Daily Mislead latest at daily.misleader.org
Thu Sep 30 12:42:04 PDT 2004

===============================
THE DAILY MIS-LEAD
< www.Misleader.org >
===============================

BUSH MISLED NATION IN LAST DEBATES

As President Bush takes the stage tonight for the 2004 presidential debates, America will be reminded of all the promises Bush made - and subsequently broke - in his debate performances throughout 2000.

In a 2000 debate, Bush said that "by far the vast majority [of my tax cuts] go to the bottom end of the economic ladder." According to the nonpartisan Citizens for Tax Justice, when his tax cuts are fully implemented in 2010, the top 5 percent of income earners will get more than half the tax cuts while the bottom half of Americans will receive less than 8 percent of the benefits.[1]

In a 2000 debate, Bush said he believed gay marriage is a state issue.[2] Then in 2004, he proposed a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage.[3]

In a 2000 debate, Bush promised not to overuse the military, saying "if we don't stop extending our troops all around the world and nation building missions, then we're going to have a serious problem coming down the road, and I'm going to prevent that."[4] Now, because of Bush's actions in Iraq and efforts to cut soldiers' pay,[5] the military is facing recruitment gaps,[6] morale problems,[7] and troops who are stretched far too thin.[8]

Sources:

1. "Details on the Bush Tax Cuts so far," Citizens for Tax Justice, Fall 2003, http://daily.misleader.org/ctt.asp?u=1136375&l=59914.
2. "Transcript of the South Carolina Republican Debate," CNN.com, 2/15/00,
http://daily.misleader.org/ctt.asp?u=1136375&l=59915.
3. "President Calls for Constitutional Amendment Protecting Marriage," The White House, 2/24/04,
http://daily.misleader.org/ctt.asp?u=1136375&l=59916.
4. "The First Presidential Election Debate," AustralianPolitics.com, 10/03/00, http://daily.misleader.org/ctt.asp?u=1136375&l=59917.
5. "Troops in Iraq face pay cut Pentagon says tough duty bonuses are budget-buster," San Francisco Chronicle, 8/14/03, http://daily.misleader.org/ctt.asp?u=1136375&l=59918.
6. "Numbers Challenge," ABCNews.com, 6/02/04, http://daily.misleader.org/ctt.asp?u=1136375&l=59919.