[Mb-civic] Sharpton Adds Voice to Antiwar Protest - Washington Post

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Mon Aug 29 04:22:52 PDT 2005

Sharpton Adds Voice to Antiwar Protest

By Sam Coates
Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, August 29, 2005; Page A04

CRAWFORD, Tex., Aug. 28 -- Al Sharpton, the civil rights activist and
former presidential candidate, rallied antiwar protesters here Sunday,
drawing comparisons with the civil rights movement on this anniversary
of the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.'s "I Have a Dream" speech.

Speaking at a Sunday morning prayer meeting, he called Cindy Sheehan,
who first arrived here 22 days ago to protest the war in Iraq, "the
conscience" of the nation.

"I come today because I feel that it is our moral obligation to stand
and to be courageous with these families and in particular Cindy," he
told the crowd of 400. "I wanted to come on that anniversary to be with
ordinary people, as I think Doctor King would have wanted."

Actor Martin Sheen also traveled to the antiwar encampment Sunday night.
He presented a rosary to Sheehan in recognition of the Catholic faith of
her son Casey, who was killed in Iraq last year.

Sharpton said opposition to the war in Iraq is not a partisan act. "This
is not about politics. This is not about Republican or Democrat. . . .
This is about right and wrong," he said.

Senior Democrats sought to distance themselves Sunday from Sheehan's
protest. On "Fox News Sunday," Byron L. Dorgan (N.D.), a member of the
Senate Democratic leadership, said: "If we withdrew tomorrow, there
would be a bloodbath in Iraq. We can't do that."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/08/28/AR2005082800882.html