[Mb-civic] Re: Atomics

Rhaerther at aol.com Rhaerther at aol.com
Thu Feb 10 22:20:12 PST 2005

Cheeseburger, a great point is made by the statement that, "...our  lives are
actually shortened by our military who is sworn to protect us."   Churchill
referred to the War Between The States as the last war  fought between
gentlemen, referring perhaps to the supposed chivalry extended to  civilians.  Yet how
can that be called a war fought by gentlemen when you  look at the burning of
Atlanta, the siege of Vicksburg, etc. and the way  plantations and farms were
pillaged and burned (sorry, please forgive my  political incorrectness, the
correct military term is "foraging) and the harm  civilians endured.  I don't
recall Emily Post or a Miss Manners column on  proper treatment of citizens in
war, but I'm pretty sure the Geneva Convention  takes non-combatants into
account.  War always has had a history of leaving  the citizen as expendable and
in several cases as trophies; during the Spanish  conquest of the Americas
riding horseback and spearing Native-Americans  running on foot was considered
"sport", during the French and Indian war both  sides paid bounties for scalps;
in this century the Blitzkrieg, the firebombing  of Dresden, the list goes on.
As appalling as the attack on Pearl Harbor  was civilians were not targeted.
however the atrocities committed in the lands  occupied by Japan are pure evil
as well as Hitler's ultimate solution.

It will take civilians worldwide to wake-up and understand that "...our
lives are actually shortened by our military who is sworn to protect us," before
there is any chance of the international military complexes being reduced.

And, as I've stated in the past, the best solution to find peace is that
solution proposed by W.C. Fields in the 1940's, put the politicians in the
coliseum and let them fight it out with socks full of shit.  But I doubt  any
leader in the world today has the courage to get their hands  dirty.

Richard Haerther