[Mb-civic] The Meaning of "Calm"

ean at sbcglobal.net ean at sbcglobal.net
Mon Feb 28 20:27:45 PST 2005

Counterpunch February 26 / 27, 2005
The Meaning of "Calm"
Relativity, LA Times Style
By ALISON WEIR

Well, I just got hung up on again, this time, by an editor on the Los
Angeles Times foreign desk. He didn't give me his name. I had called
and attempted, as politely as possible, to give him a correction for the story
on the Times's website tonight. This will probably be their front-page lead
news story tomorrow morning.

The trouble is, their headline and lead paragraph are just plain wrong. And
now, of course, they'll stay wrong in the paper tomorrow. The headline
proclaims: "Palestinian Suicide bomber Shatters Calm of Late." The lead
sentence then goes on to state that this bomber "shattered a months-long
period of relative calm"

The fact is, however, that the truce and this "calm" were shattered long
before this. The previous suicide-bombing against Israeli civilians was
Nov. 1, 2004 It took three Israeli lives. Since that time, while Israelis have
basked in "relative calm," 170 Palestinian men, women, and children have
been killed.

During this LA Times, "relative calm," another 379 Palestinian men,
women, and children were injured and maimed. Anyone who has been to
the West Bank or Gaza knows what this means: leg bones splintered,
intestines torn open, teeth shattered.

Also, of course, during this "calm," over 8,000 Palestinians have been
sitting in Israeli prison cells, routinely abused and grotesquely humiliated;
over 300 of them children.

None of this mattered to the editor I talked to. He explained that the story
said relative calm. When I tried to question this adjective, he hung up the
phone. So I guess I'll just have to explain this word for myself.

Maybe he means that relative to 7 Israeli deaths, 170 Palestinian deaths
are insignificant. Maybe he means that relative to Israeli grief, Palestinian
grief is basically unmentionable. Maybe he means that relative to the
weeping of Israeli mothers and fathers, the weeping of Palestinian mothers
and fathers, multitudes more of them, is negligible.

Maybe he means that relative to his power, my attempt to set the record
straight is laughably feeble.
Over all, I guess what he means is relatively obvious: That he can run
what he wants, distort what he desires, lead with his lies. I guess he
means that facts don't matter, truth is irrelevant, and deceit the order of the
day.

I guess he means that Americans are pawns, readers are sheep, and
people will just keep swallowing whatever the media choose to dish out.

I hope you'll tell him he's wrong: 213-237-5000 / readers.rep at latimes.com

Alison Weir is a journalist, and Executive Director of If Americans Knew.

-----
--
You are currently on Mha Atma's Earth Action Network email list,
option D (up to 3 emails/day).  To be removed, or to switch options

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
   ---   George Orwell