[Mb-civic] "Kind of a Shame"

ean at sbcglobal.net ean at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jan 9 10:01:25 PST 2005

Another glimpse of our tax dollars at work....

"Kind of a Shame"
Posted by James Wolcott
>From The Economist, January 1st-7th 2005 (registration
required; oh just go out and buy the damn thing):
"There is only one traffic law in Ramadi these days: when
Americans approach, Iraqis scatter. Horns blaring, brakes
screaming, the midday traffic skids to the side of the road as a
line of Humvee jeeps ferrying American marines rolls the
wrong way up the main street. Every vehicle, that is, except
one beat-up old taxi. Its elderly driver, flapping his
outstretched hands, seems, amazingly, to be trying to turn the
convoy back. Gun turrets swivel and lock on to him, as a hefty
marine sargeant leaps into the road, levels an assault rifle at
his turbanned head, and screams: 'Back this bitch up,
motherfucker!'
"The old man should have read the bilingual notices that
American soldiers tack to their rear bumpers in Iraq: 'Keep
50m or deadly force will be applied.' In Ramadi, the capital of
central Anbar province, where 17 suicide-bombs struck
American forces during the month-long Muslim fast of
Ramadan in the autumn, the marines are jumpy. Sometimes,
they say, they fire on vehicles encroaching with 30 metres,
sometimes they fire at 20 metres: 'If anyone gets too close to
us we fucking waste them,' says a bullish lieutenant. 'It's kind
of a shame, because it means we've killed a lot of innocent
people.'"
Kind of a shame, killing the people you're trying to
democratize, but after awhile, says the same lieutenant, "It
gets to the point where you can't wait to see guys with guns, so
you start shooting everybody..."
With characteristic dry English understatement, The
Economist's embedded reporter (Economist pieces are
unbylined) notes, "[W]hen America's well-drilled and well-fed
fighters attempt subtler tasks than killing people, problems
arise." Their contempt for Iraqis is undisguised and
dramatically expressed: a soldier, confronted by "jeering
schoolchildren," fires canisters of buckshot from his grenade-
launcher at them, and marines busting down doors in Ramadi
scream at trembling middle-aged women: "Bitch, where's the
guns?" Small wonder, ventures the correspondent, that "many
Iraqis are probably more scared of American troops than of
insurgents."
The last grafs of the report recount a big whoopy-do operation
in the smugglers' haven of Baij involving a convoy of 1000
troops supported by Apache attack helicopters targeting three
houses that had been linked to Zarquawi's terrorist band,
according to a local informant.
There was no one in the houses except women and children.
Rather than return to base empty, they pay homage to the last
reel of Casablanca and round up the usual suspects.
"...they detained 70 men from districts indentified by their
informant as 'bad.' In near-freezing conditions, they sat
hooded and bound in their pyjamas. They shivered
uncontrollably. One wetted himself in fear. Most had been
detained at random; several had been held because they had a
Kalashnikov rifle, which is legal. The evidence against one
man was some anti-American literature, a meat cleaver, and a
tin whistle. American intelligence officers moved through the
ranks of detainees, raising their hoods to take mugshots: 'One,
two, three, jihaaad!' A middle-tier officer commented on the
mission: 'When we do this,' he said. 'We lose.'"
There's a Peter Cook-Dudley Moore routine, one of their
woolgathering dialogues, where Dud asks Pete, "So would
you say you've learned from your mistakes?" and Pete replies:
"Oh yes, I'm certain I could repeat them exactly."
That seems to have been the Bush administration's approach
to Iraq. Take the mistakes of Vietnam and repeat them
exactly.
And at that you can't say they haven't succeeded.
01.02.05
James Wolcott is a VANITY FAIR contributing editor
--
You are currently on Mha Atma's Earth Action Network email list,
option D (up to 3 emails/day).  To be removed, or to switch options

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
   ---   George Orwell