[Mb-civic] Sanity in the Face of Suicide - Richard Cohen - Washington Post

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Tue Jul 19 04:32:31 PDT 2005

Sanity in the Face of Suicide

By Richard Cohen
Tuesday, July 19, 2005; Page A21

Back in 2002 I confessed that I once thought suicide bombing would be
"self-limiting." At the time, I was referring to the Palestinian
intifada, which had turned to suicide bombings even though the
Palestinians were widely thought to be secular or moderate Muslims. But
by February of that year, the number of suicide bombers had exceeded 90
since the Oslo accords of 1993, the most recent being a woman, Wafa
Idriss, who was described as anything but a religious zealot -- just
someone who had had enough. Since then suicide bombings have become a
worldwide daily occurrence, producing an unimaginable slaughter of the
innocent. The Muslim world seems to have gone nuts.

<>Of course, it is not the entire Muslim world we are speaking of, just
a portion of it and just a tiny percentage of worldwide Muslims. But the
figures for Iraq alone are appalling -- about 400 suicide bombings since
the U.S. invasion in March 2003. Even if the number includes a
preponderance of foreigners -- Saudis in particular -- it would have
been hard at one time to conceive that there were so many people willing
to end their own lives, not to mention those of others, particularly
children.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/07/18/AR2005071801326.html?nav=hcmodule