[Mb-civic] In Ohio, The War Matters Most - David S. Broder - Washington Post Op-Ed

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Sun Nov 6 07:06:08 PST 2005

n Ohio, The War Matters Most

By David S. Broder
Sunday, November 6, 2005; Page B07

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- A year after the close Ohio vote gave President Bush
his second term in the White House, I came back to the capital of this
battleground state last week as part of a team of Post reporters
interviewing voters in various areas of the country.

Before heading to my precincts, I stopped by the office of a prominent
Republican I had known for many years and asked him what he thought I
would hear about Bush that afternoon. His answer was succinct: "It's
lucky he's not on the ballot this year."

Public and private polls confirm that, as usual, Ohio is an accurate
barometer of the national political trends. Bush has slumped badly here,
as he has across the country. Ohio adds its own twists to the national
story. Some sectors of the economy have shown improvement in the past
year. But a series of financial scandals has hit the dominant GOP, and
embattled Republican Gov. Bob Taft is suffering from pathetically low
approval ratings after admitting that he was slow in reporting free golf
outings and other favors from lobbyists. Democrats, who have lost every
statewide contest in recent years, sense an opportunity for a comeback
in next year's races for governor and senator.

But the dominant factor in the changed political climate -- identified
by my Republican friend and confirmed by the voter interviews -- is the
war in Iraq. He reminded me that nine Marines from a Columbus-based unit
had been ambushed and killed in a single attack in August and that five
other Marines from the Cleveland suburb of Brook Park had met a similar
fate earlier that same week.

Those deaths are much more personal -- and the wounds much deeper --
than the damage to the president's support that has been caused by any
of the more recent controversies roiling the waters in Washington. The
ups and downs of Bush's various Supreme Court choices, John Roberts,
Harriet Miers and Samuel Alito, have prompted little curiosity among the
voters I met.

The plight of Hurricane Katrina's victims does stir their sympathy, but
these voters have little patience for trying to sort out the
responsibility for the mess in New Orleans among all the officials --
local, state and national -- involved.

As for the indictment of I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby, Vice President
Cheney's main man, for allegedly lying to the grand jury investigating
the "outing" of Valerie Plame, it might as well be happening on another
planet. More often than not, voters say they know something of what has
happened, but as they start to describe their reactions, they find
themselves saying that they are not sure who was doing what -- or why.
Except for an occasional Democratic partisan, I found no one who was
upset with Bush for the actions in his official family -- or for the
president's silence on the subject up through the time these interviews
were being conducted.

But the war is something else. The Republican friend, who is a true Bush
loyalist, said he feared that Iraq is splitting this country in a
fashion all too familiar from the days of the Vietnam War.

"The opponents of the war are increasingly vocal," he said, "and they
want the troops out now, and to hell with the consequences."

But, he said, "I'm also hearing more voices on the other side saying:
Let's go in with guns blazing and win this thing, once and for all, so
we can get out. People are saying, 'We've got to tell the Sunnis to
clean out the insurgents -- or else.' I've heard people say we ought to
surround those Sunni villages where the fighters are hiding, give them
24 hours to get out and then level every building, so they can't come back."

"What people can't stand," he said, "is this unending story of two or
three more Americans dying every day -- and nothing to show that the end
is in sight."

Far more than anything else, the voices in Columbus suggest that the
president's biggest problem -- and therefore the Republicans' biggest
worry -- is the unresolved and uncertain struggle in Iraq. Bring it to
some sort of satisfactory conclusion, and all the other issues
confronting the administration at home and abroad probably become
manageable. But let it drag on for another year of deaths and
frustrations, and you are really tempting the fates.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/11/04/AR2005110401673.html