[Mb-civic] Specter to Press Miers in Hearings - Washington Post

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Mon Oct 10 07:23:38 PDT 2005

Specter to Press Miers in Hearings
Judiciary Panel Leader Says Nominee Has Not Yet Been Heard

By Christopher Lee
Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, October 10, 2005; Page A05

Supreme Court nominee Harriet Miers will get a thorough vetting by the
Senate Judiciary Committee, the panel's chairman said yesterday, adding
that critics of President Bush's pick have pilloried the nomination
before giving Miers a chance to be heard.

"What you've had here . . . is not a rush to judgment -- it's a stampede
to judgment," said Sen. Arlen Specter (R-Pa.) on ABC's "This Week."
"She's faced one of the toughest lynch mobs ever assembled in
Washington, D.C., and we really assemble some tough lynch mobs."

The nomination of Miers, 60, the White House counsel and a longtime
associate of Bush, has been condemned by some conservatives who bemoan
her lack of a judicial track record and say she is hardly the most
qualified person for the seat being vacated by retiring Justice Sandra
Day O'Connor. Miers was a corporate lawyer and has never served as a judge.

Specter said he would press Miers "very hard" on her approach to legal
issues such as whether the Roe v. Wade abortion decision is settled law,
and on whether she has privately given anyone assurances on how she
would vote on the bench. He will even ask to see her law school
transcript from Southern Methodist University because "academic standing
is relevant," he said.

Specter and Vermont Sen. Patrick J. Leahy, the committee's ranking
Democrat, said they intend to follow up on a comment by Focus on the
Family founder and chairman James C. Dobson that, based on conversations
with White House adviser Karl Rove, he believes she opposes abortion and
would be a good justice.

"This is a lifetime appointment," Specter said. "If there are backroom
assurances and there are backroom deals, and if there is something which
bears upon a precondition as to how a nominee is going to vote, I think
that's a matter that ought to be known by the Judiciary Committee and
the American people."

Leahy said he would oppose any nominee who gives assurances about how he
or she would vote on particular cases. "I would vote against that
person," he said. "I wouldn't care whether they are nominated by a
Democrat or a Republican. . . . And all 100 senators should vote against
them under that basis alone."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/09/AR2005100901018.html