[Mb-civic] Aiming to Burst 'Bubble' Theory - Washington Post

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Tue Jan 24 03:50:36 PST 2006

Aiming to Burst 'Bubble' Theory
President Takes Impromptu Audience Questions in Kansas

By Christopher Lee
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, January 24, 2006; A04

MANHATTAN, Kan., Jan. 23 -- The presidency may be a bully pulpit, but
President Bush used it on Monday more like a campfire leader than a
political preacher.

As if to rebut charges that he lives in a White House bubble that leaves
him exposed only to handpicked audiences, Bush spent most of an
hour-and-40-minute session here chatting with questioners pulled from
the seats of the Kansas State University arena. Before a crowd of 9,000
students, faculty members, supporters and soldiers, Bush alternated
between serious oration about terrorism and lighthearted banter about
his family and dog.

He bemoaned "needless name-calling" in Washington and said that rather
than get angry he tries to "burn off that excess energy" with exercise.
He talked nuclear weapons and immigration and the Supreme Court. He had
tough words for Iran and softer words for China. He said his wife does
not hesitate to give advice, "which can be too frequent sometimes," then
quickly added: "Not true, honey." By the end of the event, White House
transcribers recorded 61 instances of audience laughter.

But the fresh format came with its own perils, such as off-message
questions about education spending cuts and feisty personalities such as
an Iraqi American woman who praised Bush's foreign policy yet seemed
reluctant to give up the microphone to hear his response.

The forum was a departure for the control-oriented, gaffe-fearing Bush
White House, which has preferred not to put the president in public
settings open to unpredictable and potentially hostile questions. His
"town hall" meetings on Social Security last year, for instance, usually
consisted of preselected panelists engaging in discussions rehearsed the
night before with a White House official.

Last month, Bush was criticized for breaking with tradition and refusing
to take questions after a speech on Iraq at the Council on Foreign
Relations. A few days later, Newsweek ran a cover story titled "Bush in
the Bubble," suggesting he cuts himself off from the outside world. The
White House pulled a surprise the next day by inviting audience members
to quiz the president after a speech in Philadelphia. It repeated the
format last week after an economic speech in Loudoun County, and White
House aides said they plan to make it a regular feature for a while.

Here in Kansas, it was a friendly crowd gathered in a solidly red state.
White House officials said the university was in charge of attendance,
but that they did give some tickets to local Republicans to hand out to
GOP supporters. About 100 people protested the Iraq war in 34-degree
weather outside the arena, but on his drive into the university Bush was
treated to the sight of hundreds of well-wishers waving from front yards.

A student in the Air Force ROTC asked him to talk about how he handles
assaults on his character. A former beef industry official praised his
efforts to get beef exports into Japan after mad cow scares in the
United States. One person asked him to talk about his wife.

There were more weighty questions, of course, about the fate of the
troubled nation of Sudan and on security and economic threats from
abroad. "I am deeply concerned about Iran, as should a lot of people
be," Bush said. "The world cannot be put in a position where we can be
blackmailed by a nuclear weapon."

To Bush's delight, a Kurdish American woman offered effusive praise of
his decision to go to war in Iraq. "Please stop questioning the
administration and their decision," she declared. "It was the best
decision anybody could make."

Yet, to Bush's bafflement, she repeatedly tried to return to the
microphone and keep talking. Bush playfully cut her off over and over to
get in his own thoughts, but she did not make it easy.

And there were unexpected topics. A sophomore asked why officials were
cutting student aid by $12.7 billion. "How's that supposed to help our
futures?" she asked. Bush seemed perplexed and asked if she meant
federal money. "What we did is reform the student loan program," he
said. "We're not cutting money out of it. . . . We're not taking people
off student loans, we're saving money in the student loan program,
because it's inefficient."

But in that small exchange, an avenue of attack opened for Democrats.
"The President may think that gutting $12.7 billion from student aid
isn't a cut, but our students certainly do," Senate Minority Leader
Harry M. Reid (D-Nev.) said in a statement rushed out after the speech.

Another student asked Bush as a ranch owner for his review of "Brokeback
Mountain," an acclaimed film about two ranch hands in a gay
relationship. "You would love it," the student said.

Faced with a topic sensitive to his conservative base, Bush retreated
into ignorance. "I'd be glad to talk about ranching," he said, "but I
haven't seen the movie."

Finally, he had to go. The session had been longer and looser than
usual, but for a man who expresses disdain for the ways of Washington,
Bush was thinking of home by day's end. "I'd like to be here for a
longer period of time," he said, "but Laura is serving dinner for
retiring Alan Greenspan, and I better not be late."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/23/AR2006012301550.html?nav=hcmodule