[Mb-hair] Visceral connections

Martin Eayrs martin at eayrs.com
Wed Mar 30 09:53:00 PST 2005

Richard

I wasn't belittling the Iraq war - just saying times were different
and people were being conscripted back in the 60s - 'be the first one
on the block to have your boy come home in a box' is not so relevant
today. Not yet.

But your second point is a good one, if confused. (Not you confused,
the point confusing two things). If HAiR arrives DOA it is DOA in the
commercial sense. Most (all really) of my theatrical life has been in
amateur theatre where making money is merely hoping to cover costs if
you couldn't find a sponsor.

Nothing wrong with amateur theatre (yeh, I know, 'theater' to you
guys) and nothing wrong with professional theatre either (and a
guy/gal has to eat) but the confusion comes in when you consider how
to rate success.

If success is measured in $$ signs then we're betraying values we
once believed in (maybe rightly, who am I to say). But a show can be
a great show and not make money. Does that make it any worse a show.
The public is notoriously fickle, often intellectually challenged and
mentalised by reviewers and such. Why did Paul Simon's Capeman flop ?

Maybe HAiR will never have the impact it once had - maybe it won't
have the long runs - but that doesn't make it any worse. Sure, people
won't react viscerally to the issues - it would be odd if they did if
you think about it - but it's not the fault of the musical itself or
the production.

The decision to stage HAiR can't be an easy one today given the cost
of mounting any show - but if I had an amateur theatre group of young
people wanting to stage a fun musical and learn about themselves
maybe HAiR would still be a good candidate.

Martin