[Mb-hair] RENT

Michael Butler michael at michaelbutler.com
Mon Oct 31 09:09:23 PST 2005

Hi,
Do I dare enter what might be considered a firefight, not yet a war?
Well, here goes:
As for RENT I went with the Rado's (Jim & Ted) and their younger family
members. We were disappointed. On reflection I feel that this was a set up.
We were curious as to what was being pushed as the new HAIR. Well as Bowie
said, "it was not HAIR". I think Broadway was desperate for something to
replace or equate with HAIR. Something whereas the 'establishment' could
assuage the improper treatment of HAIR with the Tony's. I also wanted so
much to see something new come to B'way. Something to follow or succeed to
take over the HAIR mantle.
I think RENT seen without that baggage would have been a pleasant evening,
certainly more exciting and important than most of the current period of
theatrical offerings-or since HAIR, for that matter.
A better than good show, but not HAIR.
Thus I can only wish the film the best and hope the play continues.

As for the controversy surrounding the tribal comments about this subject,
may I make a suggestion? When any of us, who basically are loving tribal
members, wants to take exception to the comments of others please be
cautious as to what you write. Not the opinion but how you say it counts.

Peace and Love,
Michael