[Mb-hair] 1993 London Cast

richard haase hotprojects at nyc.rr.com
Fri Mar 31 07:52:24 PST 2006

that was the problem with the film too
overproduced
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Wm-A Gonzalez
  To: 'Michael Ramirez' ; mb-hair at islandlists.com
  Sent: Friday, March 31, 2006 9:58 AM
  Subject: Re: [Mb-hair] 1993 London Cast

  I got it because of the new songs and verses, but felt that it was overproduced and way too glossy for HAiR.  I found it to be very boring.  I also thought that the added lyrics were indulgent and unnecessary.  Unlike many, I am not a HAiR purist.  However, I am under the firm belief that you don't tinker with something good unless you can make it better.  I don't think the '93 London production did that.

  You've also mentioned the Vienna cast album.  I really dislike the updated musical arrangements, most of which are derivative of other pop songs.  Then again, I also did not care for the arrangements used in the film version, as I thought that they were too "jazz" based instead of rock based.

  With the exception of "Easy to Be Hard", which is phenomenal sung as a "Soul" ballad instead of a pop/rock ballad, I don't think that I've ever heard a new arrangement of any of the songs that were better than the original.

  My favorite album is the original Broadway cast.

  -Bil Gonzalez